Saturday, June 21, 2008

Race for the cure






So this morning I woke up at 6:30 to Race for the Cure to benefit breast cancer research. I actually planned to wake up earlier because the race was in Seattle and started at 8:00 plus I had to check in and get my number and such. Well I woke up, threw on some clothes and running shoes and began the day. I went by myself :( and arrived in Seattle about 7:20, registered, put on my racing t-shirt, attached my number (4512) and made my way to the starting line. I got there with 10 minutes to spare and was anxious for the race. The announcer kept counting down "Ten minutes to the start of the women's competitive 5K race.... 7 minutes to the Women's competitive race...." Competitive!? I thought it was just a fun 5K run! Well foolish me found myself at the front of the starting line. Doing a few stretchies and knee raises (to pretend I knew what I was doing), I realized I was surrounded by women with racing shorts, tight aerodynamic tops and top of the line running shoes... I didn't belong in the front. Then I looked ahead of me and the race could have followed one of two course options. It could have gone straight or up. I asked the lady next to me which way the race went and of course... it went up! The race began and as soon as I reached 10 paces, I had been past by all those ladies with little clothing and some old ladies and some kids.... and some ladies with strollers... No joke! I found my pace and turned on the tunes. Shortly into the race I found a girl walking. She looked no older then myself and in better shape...everyone was just jogging by. I thought, 'this girl needs motivation' so I jogged up next to her and said "Don't stop, I am going sooo slow so just run with me!" She said "thank you" and started to jog. Feeling a small victory and quite proud of myself, that little brat takes off and I never saw her again! Oh well, so I continued on and at about 1.5 miles I saw the girls that were beside my at the starting line jogging on the viaduct coming back. They had to already be 7 minutes ahead. I cheered to them in support and continued to listen to a my Bon Jovi. At the halfway point I was met with volunteers handing out water to the runners that past. This is particularly tricky and I found myself half drowning with water all over the front of me so I tossed it aside and kept going. The course was all up hill the whole way (I Don't know how that was possible seeing as it was a round trip, but it was). I dry-heaved twice, dropped my IPod twice, and snapped a few pics along the way. The end of the race was lined with supporters and they fueled a generous spirt to the end. All-in-all I had a great time! I finished the race in 27 minutes 46 seconds and feel like it was a small victory! I didn't come in first but I was far from last, and that's just fine with me! PS... See if you can spot waldo. I am toward the front.... hehe!

2 comments:

Ivy said...

Way to go Rosa, you totally rock!

Shannon said...

Is that you with the pom poms? HA HA